You do not want anyone to poke around your files, install spyware or change security settings on your computer when you are not around. Follow the steps below to secure your Windows 10 device with a password or change a password.
Please note that in order to make these changes, you should be signed in on your computer with an administrator account.
Set a device password
Follow these steps to set a password on a Windows 10 device that is not password protected.
1. Click the Start button at the bottom left of your screen and go to Settings.
2. Navigate to Accounts.
3. In the menu on the left, select Sign-in options
4. Select Password from a list of sign-in options available to you and click Add.
5. Enter a password in the box, confirm it and click Next. Make sure you use a strong password.
6. Click Finish. Now make sure that you also make it a must for whoever is using the computer besides you to enter a password to access the device.
Change your device password
Follow these steps to change an existing password – for example, when you want to use a stronger password.
1. Navigate to the Sign-in options menu (Start > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options).
2. Select Password from a list of sign-in options available to you and click Change.
3. Enter your current password and click Next.
4. Enter a new password in the box, confirm it and click Next. Make sure you use a strong password.
5. Click Finish.
Now that you have set a device password on your Windows 10 computer, you should also make it a must for anyone trying to access the computer to enter the password.
1. Click the Start button at the bottom left of your screen and search for “netplwiz” in the search box. The top result should be a program of the same name. Click on the netplwiz program to open it.
2. In the window that opens, check the box next to “Users must enter a name and password to use this computer”.
3. Hit Apply.
4. When prompted, enter your password to confirm the changes and click OK.